Up to 35% OFF - Limited Time Learn More
Up to 35% OFF - Limited Time

Limited Time Offer

We are currently offering up to 35% OFF for a Limited Time!

Prices reflect the discounted prices and is automatically applied during checkout.

The discounts offered at this time are not applicable towards past purchases or pending balances.

DoctorPup Complimentary Service

Helpful Videos, Forum Q&A, Articles and more

DoctorPup Logo

Common Conditions

Hacking Cough but Feels Good

June 15, 2017, 11:56 PM
Q: I'm fairly certain our 9 wk old, 2 lb Morkie has kennel cough. It just started today, 8 days after bringing her home. (cough, cough, cough, hack). She's eating, sleeping and playing well, and she doesn't feel warm. We have 2 other dogs at home who are healthy - a 2yo, 6 lb Yorkie and a 13yo, 50 lb beagle/terrier. Should I call the vet or just let it run its coarse as long as she is acting OK? We had a well check last Friday which she got a clean bill of health and have an appt.next Friday for her next vaccine.
A: I would start some home care to help with the irritation and cough. There are 2 steps: Use a humidifier or steamy bathroom for about 15 minutes 2-3 times daily Pick up some guaifenesin syrup OTC at your pharmacy and give 0.1ml/lb 2-3 times daily. Make sure it is guaifenesin only without antihistamines Or dextromethorphan If her attitude or appetite change let me know Most healthy adults can handle exposure without much problem.